Friday, December 10, 2004

Christianity: The Religion of Tolerance

On MSNBC's Scarborough Country yesterday, the president of the Catholic League, William Donahue, put his tolerance on display:

Hollywood is controlled by secular Jews who hate Christianity in general
and Catholicism in particular. It‘s not a secret, OK? And I‘m not
afraid to say it. That‘s why they hate this movie [The Passion of the Christ]. It‘s about Jesus Christ, and it‘s about truth. It‘s about the messiah.

Hollywood likes anal sex. They like to see the public square without nativity
scenes. I like families. I like children. They like abortions. I believe in traditional values and restraint. They believe in libertinism. We have nothing in common. But you know what? The culture war has been ongoing for a long time. Their side
has lost.

You have got secular Jews. You have got embittered ex-Catholics, including a lot of ex-Catholic priests who hate the Catholic Church, wacko Protestants in the same group, and these people are in the margins. Frankly, Michael Moore represents a cult movie. Mel Gibson represents the mainstream of America.


Donahue goes right for the 'ole classics, doesn't he? Blamin' the Jews! That is a real traditional Christian value, good for 2000 years, good for 2000 more, I guess.

Of course, Donahue asserts that those damned secular Jews hate The Passion of the Christ because it is the truth, in proof of my earlier post about how Christians can't accept others who don't think in Christian terms. Since the truth is so certain and obvious to Christians like Donahue, it must be certain and obvious to everyone else, so critics must be criticizing because they don't like the truth. It never occurs to people like this that others don't believe it is the freakin' truth! Jackass.

Let's see. I used to work in Hollywood. I don't like anal sex, but not for moral reasons, just because I don't find it particularly enjoyable.

I do, indeed, like to see the public square without nativity scenes, but I could just as easily go around claiming Donahue likes to see the public square without displays of Mohammed ascending to Heaven or Mithras rising from the grave.

Donahue claims to "like families." I like families and children too, but I like all kinds families, not just white heterosexual Christian families. I don't think a heterosexual family where the father beats the mother and the kids and then takes the kids to be molested by a priest is better than a stable family with gay or lesbian parents, or a single parent. But hey, that's just me.

"They like abortions." Once again, because Christians hate abortions, the opposition must "like" abortions. I don't know if anyone truly "likes" abortion. I just don't believe society has the right to take the control of a woman's body away from her. That's a far cry from "liking" abortion.

Donahue believes in "traditional values" -- see my previous post about what a crock relying on traditions is -- "and restraint." If this is an example of Donahue exercising "restraint" I'd hate to see him drunk at a bachelor party. Jeesh.

Then he gets back to the Jews before jumping on the ex-Catholics, who couldn't possibly have reason to hate the Catholic Church, could they? And then "wacko" Protestants. The one saving grace in all the right-wing religiosity in this country is that these right-wing nutbags can't even get along with each other!

Jeesh. Can you feel the tolerance coming off this guy? I sure can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home